2017 Ducati 1299 Superleggera BST Wheels – First Look – ref -Cycle News
Ducati Superleggera BST Wheels A carbon fiber dream. That’s the best way to describe the brand new 1299 Superleggera. The latest example of a legend that was kickstarted with the 1199 Superleggera of 2014, the new 1299 Superlegerra BST Wheels will feature more carbon fiber than any previous production motorcycle.
Such parts made from the lightweight material include the frame, swingarm, subframe and, for the first time on a production motorcycle, the wheels.
The bodywork, resplendent in Ducati’s racing colors and mimicking those of company’s Desmosedici GP16 MotoGP racer, is also made from carbon fiber.
Under all that is an engine Ducati claims is the most powerful in their history. A 215 horsepower L-twin desmodromic monster takes center stage, with a host of electronic aids to keep it under control via the six-axis Bosch Inertial Measurement Unit. Ducati has refined their traction control system (Ducati Traction Control EVO) that debuted on the 1299 Panigale S Anniversario earlier this year; the system also houses the Ducati Slide Control (DSC) and is the first machine to come standard with Ducati Launch Control (DLC) and a new version of the Ducati Engine Brake Control (EBC). On top of that, there’s the a newly calibrated Bosch Cornering ABS system to keep this thing rubber side down.
The styling is close to the 1299 Anniversario bar the massive, WorldSBK-style twin mufflers that exit under the seat, although these will be country-specific.
Limited to just 500 units, making it an instant classic, the 1299 Superlegerra BST Wheels can be yours for, wait for it, $80,000. Even at that price, we doubt there’ll be a lack of buyers lining up to nab one.
2017 Ducati 1299 Superleggera BST Wheels : key details
- Carbon fiber monocoque
- Carbon fiber single-sided swingarm
- Carbon fiber wheels with aluminium hubs
- Carbon fiber rear subframe
- Aluminum tank
- Carbon fiber fairing
- Multi-adjustable Öhlins FL936 upside down 43 mm fork
- Multi-adjustable Öhlins TTX36 shock absorber with titanium spring
- Brembo MCS 19.21 radial front pump
- Brembo TT29OP1 brake pads with increased friction coefficient
- ID number on top yoke: 1/500
- Superquadro engine with 215 hp at 11,000 rpm and 107lb-ft at 9,000 rpm
- 2-segment pistons with a diameter of 116 mm to boost the compression ratio and aluminium
- cylinder liners to reduce weight
- Lighter crankshaft with tungsten balancing pads
- Titanium con rods
- Sand-cast crankcase
- Increased-diameter titanium intake and exhaust valves
- Cylinder head with specially developed intake and exhaust ducts
- Camshafts with increased lift
- Complete all-titanium Akrapovič exhaust with high-mount dual silencer
- 6D Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) by Bosch
- Ducati Traction Control EVO (DTC EVO)
- Ducati Slide Control (DSC)
- Ducati Wheelie Control EVO (DWC EVO)
- Engine Brake Control (EBC)
- Bosch Cornering ABS
- Ducati Power Launch (DPL)
- Ducati Quick Shift (DQS) up/down
- Dedicated switchgear controls to adjust DTC, DSC, DWC and EBC during on-track use ad DPL
- Ducati Data Analyser + (DDA+)
- Lithium-ion battery