Gary Turner – Managing Director
In the motorcycle industry since he was 16, Gary left South Africa and headed for the European racing scene before moving on to America. In Europe, he headed up Pro Carbon and Pro Britten, both international motorcycle race teams, as manager and rider for 6 years. He has as many years before that in both off-road and circuit racing. After acquiring the last available Britten V1000 in late 1998, he formed and managed the Pro Britten Racing Team for 99/2000 seasons. This bike won at Daytona in the Sound of Thunder class. For 9 years he has been designing custom sport and race bikes.
In the 5 years that he lived in Holland, he owned a motorcycle shop specialising in advanced performance parts with a focus on carbon fibre. His passion for speed and performance and his concern for the safety and well-being of the racing riders led him to explore the use of carbon fibre as a viable alternative material, and he has designed and produced carbon fibre prototypes for many other motorcycle parts, all of which he has added to BlackStone’s product line.
Terry Annecke – Marketing and Operations Director
Having worked for two of the world’s most influential companies – IBM and Microsoft – in technical, sales, product management and executive positions, Terry has been involved in the information technology industry since 1980 and is a recognised leader in this field, particularly for her communication, management and leadership skills.
At IBM South Africa she was responsible for IBM’s PC brands before she left the company to join the newly established local Microsoft organisation. She was a key member of the management team that led Microsoft through its massive growth in this country. She started the highly successful corporate sales team, integrated systems engineering skills into major customers, and started up the consulting business. Most recently she was Director of Marketing for Microsoft in South Africa, managing a substantial budget and a large team of specialists. She worked extensively with both IBM and Microsoft internationally.
She was a finalist in the Businesswoman of the Year competition in 2000 in recognition of her role in the industry.
Leaving Microsoft in 2001 to join Gary to start BlackStone Tek and bring its products to the market. She is responsible for marketing as well as all operations of the business.She is passionate about nature and wild life, she’s a rose grower and an enthusiastic and experienced scuba diver. She has travelled extensively, and her diving holidays take her to remote parts of the world in search of strange and fascinating marine creatures. Her last trip to Wakatobi (where she celebrated a Significant Birthday) gave her her first sightings of the pygmy sea horses, thereby achieving a long-held dream. Her garden is a place of total enchantment, with 536 rose bushes, luscious lawn, huge old trees, shade gardens, a waterfall and a swimming pool converted into a fish, frog and water lily paradise. The fragrance of the garden hangs in the air all summer. This Garden of Joy is on show to raise money for charity every October.
At BST TEAM, Gary channels his ideas into the new product lines and oversees design and function, ensuring that the products are functional, beautiful and – most important – make a difference to the rider and the bike’s performance.
Awards Gary won for his Pro Carbon Customised Motorcycle:
- Two Brothers CBR900RR Fastest Bike in Holland 1999
- Custom CBR900RR for Henk Go (customer) Most Popular Bike in Holland 1999
- Customers bike (CBR900RR) wins second place – Most Popular Bike in Holland 1997
- Motor – (Dutch) June 1995: about project bike, Two Brothers CBR900RR custom by Pro Carbon.
- Motor – June 1996: about custom Ducati 916SP and Honda NR750 bikes customised by Pro Carbon.
- StreetFighters – (UK) Dec 1996: about custom Honda CBR900 FireBlade motorcycle by ProCarbon.
- Motor – 1996: about Pro Carbon International Race Team.
- MCN Motorcycle News – (UK) 1997: news article features Gary Turner’s Ducati 916 and CBR900RR.
- Performance Bike – (UK) Nov 1997: article about the Gary Turner-designed-and-built CBR900RR.
Gary’s Competition Riding Experience:
- 1980-1988 various motocross and off-road events, member Cape Town Motocross Club
- 1993-1994 held enduro KNMV (Dutch national motorcycle racing association) license; KNMV is a member of the Federated International Motorcyclists Association.
- 1993- Finished 13th in the KNMV national enduro championship, 2-stroke 500cc class
- 1994- Held number 2 plate in the KNMV 125 enduro class
- 1994- Obtained KNMV road race license
- 1995- Raced Dutch championship races and select European championship races on a Ducati Supermono; 11th-place season finish in Dutch series
- 1996- Raced Dutch championship races and select European championship races on a Ducati Supermono; 8th-place season finish in Dutch series
- 1997- Raced Dutch championship races and select European championship races on a Ducati Supermono; 5th-place season finish in Dutch series, and participated in various national Superbike class races.
- 1998- Various Dutch Supermono- and Supersport 600-class events
- 1999- Held license with American Historic Racing Association; member American Motorcyclist Association
- 2000- Selected Dutch Supermono class races – 11th place season finish; various Dutch Battle of the Twins-class races; participated in several Battle of the Twins races; competed in full MET Club Endurance Championship, Belgium; 6th-place finish in Superbike class.